5/3/08
Panic! At The Disco / Pretty. Odd. [2008]
Panic! At The Disco
Pretty. Odd.
Fueled By Ramen
March 25, 2008



This seriously surprised me. Given the fact that I was definitely not a fan of Panic! at the Disco around the time of their first album, A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out (and even going as far to say that I hated them), I wasn’t expecting to even want to listen to the album until a friend persuaded me to. I was totally surprised to find out that I actually love this album. It’s so different from their first, which I found way too poppy (in a BAD way) and leaning towards the "emo" side of things, whereas Pretty. Odd. is a progression towards a better, more mature sound that is less about being so camp and pseudo-creepy emo rock and more about great songs that have more of a 70’s feel (although they’re still pretty camp, but this time it's kind of cool). Panic... have embraced a more folky sound, as well as a more of the psychedelic, with hints of old time Victoriana and pop. "Nine in the Afternoon" is a cute, happy song that is unashamedly poppy, (which I like) with a nice horn section and a great powerful chorus (probably my favourite from the album), and "That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)" is another great song with another great chorus and use of strings, with a vintage 70’s sound. Obviously the first album's scars will still stick around, but I think with time people will see them in a more respectable light, think of them a little more highly, and actually give this record a listen without judging it first. - TotalTrash

Highlights / Nine In The Afternoon

Labels:

The Kiln -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment




If you’re an artist/record label interested in sending promotional material or just want to say hello, please visit our Contact Section.








mp3 blogs

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.









Blogroll

3hive
Cable and Tweed
Twentyseven Views
The Yellow Stereo
The Rich Girls Are Weeping
Brooklyn Vegan
You Ain't No Picasso