3/31/08
The Long Blondes / Couples [2008]
The Long Blondes
Couples
Rough Trade
April 8, 2001



I’ve never been a fan of The Long Blondes ever since their first album Someone To Drive You Home was released, despite the ‘critical acclaim’ (mainly from NME magazine, who aren’t exactly music connoisseurs). The main problem I had, and still have with their first album was that it seemed a little too aware of itself, and a little too much of a Blondie rip off. Couples is much of the same. Although some of the new songs such as ‘Guilt’, ‘The Couples’ and ‘Century’ are an improvement, they still lack personality or charisma, and the album feels a little monotonous. Lead singer Kate Jackson’s vocals are good, I guess, but again, it feels way too much like they are trying to be Blondie. It sounds as if The Long Blondes are trying to create a classic disco, new wave sound from the 70’s and 80’s, but not going all the way with it, and not trying hard enough. The album isn’t particularly bad, I mean, I’ve heard much worse - but the problem I have with it is that it just didn’t really make me feel any emotion except a little bored, and I didn’t feel like listening to it more than once, which I’m guessing, is a bad sign. Overall the album is just okay... but I mean, who wants that? - TotalTrash

Highlights / Century (video)



Labels:

The Kiln -
1 Comments:
Post a Comment




If you’re an artist/record label interested in sending promotional material or just want to say hello, please visit our Contact Section.








mp3 blogs

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.









Blogroll

3hive
Cable and Tweed
Twentyseven Views
The Yellow Stereo
The Rich Girls Are Weeping
Brooklyn Vegan
You Ain't No Picasso